Worried about your energy bills?

If you’re concerned about paying your energy bills or want to make changes to your home to bring bills down, use this list of useful contacts to help you find the right answers.

07 Sep 2022

We want to eradicate fuel poverty and create a fairer energy system that works for everyone. However, change won’t happen overnight, and many of us are facing difficult choices right now due to soaring gas prices and the cost-of-living crisis.

Here's a list of sites and organisations that may be able to help you if you're struggling with your bills. If you'd like to share this list with others, you can download our editable flyer.

Financial support from government

The government has some grants and schemes to help with energy bills including the Warm Home Discount and Winter Fuel Payments. Find out what’s available and if you’re eligible in this government guidance on energy bills.

You can find more information on government support with the wider cost of living crisis on the "help for households" website.

National Energy Action

National Energy Action is a charity working to end fuel poverty. They offer advice on what to do if you're struggling with your energy bills via their website and over the phone. Call 0800 304 7159 to get support (phone lines open: Monday to Friday, 10am – 12pm). 

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offers guidance across a wide range of topics including energy bills. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you to find out what financial support you’re entitled to, how to ensure your home is energy efficient, and how to deal with your energy supplier.   

You can visit its website or call the advice line on 0800 144 8848 (for England), 0800 702 2020 (for Wales), or visit the Northern Ireland website.

Your energy supplier

If you haven't done so already, it’s worth contacting your energy supplier directly if you’re struggling to pay your bills. They may have options available which could help you.

Your local authority

Your local authority may be able to offer you financial help or signpost you to local support services. Find out who your local authority is and how to get in touch with them by visiting the gov.uk website.

If you're feeling overwhelmed

The increase in energy bills is understandably worrying. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and would like to talk to someone, Mind has a list of support options for you to choose from.